If there is one thing we’ve learned, it’s that there are many misconceptions about women in the pest control industry. So while we could write a blog post about why women are a good fit for Mosquito Joe, we thought there were a few people who could do a better job. In our blog series the Women of Mosquito Joe, we highlight the incredible women that are a part of the MoJo family and why it is no longer a man’s world!
This month we’re introducing you to one of the gals from the corporate office of Mosquito Joe. Julie Green is our Marketing Manager, and is part of the team behind the fun branding, taglines, and fun advertisements you see about Mosquito Joe. Julie hails from the City of Oaks and is a graduate of Meredith College in Raleigh, NC. Her husband’s naval career brought them to the area, and boy are we happy it did. She’s been with the company since we signed our first franchisee and is one of our franchisee’s go-to girls when they need marketing help. She has a background in public relations, communications and franchising and is known to enjoy a good glass of pinot noir when she isn’t chasing her son Mason and the silliest mutt of all time, Lilly.
- What brought you to Mosquito Joe? My husband is active duty in the Navy and we received orders to Norfolk, Virginia in 2011. After welcoming our first son in 2012 I was looking for jobs and came across a job posting for a position with an outdoor pest control company I had definitely never heard of. When I came in to meet the team, I came home so excited about the opportunity. That was four and a half years ago and 0 franchises. Today, I look around and think about what a crazy ride it’s been that we’re in 31 states and have 120 franchisees. I’m immensely glad I followed my gut and took a chance on that start up…Mosquito Joe is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- What is your role in the Mosquito Joe business? I am the Marketing Manager for MoJo! I manage our public relations, social media and the awesome brand you all know and love. My main role is to be a point of contact for franchisees when they need some guidance in the marketing world. When they leave training their support system doesn’t end – we’re on standby for any of their needs. We like to tell them we’re their own built in marketing team and I love working with them every day.
- Why is a Mosquito Joe business a good fit for women? The opportunity is a perfect fit for women on so many different levels. A lot of times women are pulled between home life and career life and MoJo gives the opportunity to do both because it’s a mobile business. There’s so much flexibility and you need that when juggling kids and work. Women also really relate to needing the service and are able to not only have that discussion, but also connect with our customers on an important level.
- What do you find most empowering about your job? I can truly say I never thought my career would take me into the world of bugs, but I love it. While it isn’t so much about the actual bugs themselves (although my vast knowledge of them is a fun party trick now), I love working for a brand and service that gives people the ability to get back outside. My family and I are always outside whether we’re grilling, playing with our son and dog or just enjoying a beverage on the patio so I’m as passionate about our service as I am the brand. Also, I get to work with business owners everyday who make a difference in their community and that makes me happy above all else.Getting to help people realize their dreams is pretty empowering. Everyday I work with people who taken a leap of faith not only in themselves but also our brand and I take that pretty seriously. My main goal is to make sure my franchisees succeed, and marketing is a big part of that.
- Who is your inspiration and why? I would definitely have to say my mom and my sister. Being raised by strong, independent women was a gift for me. I feel like so much of my ambition and drive comes from watching them throughout my life. My Mom and Dad gave me so many opportunities that allowed me to find my wings, but I also got to watch my sister achieve some pretty awesome goals before I even graduated from college. All of those combined made it impossible not to think I could do anything I set my mind to. We’re all adults now, but they continue to be my role models. My mom is now actually an owner of her own Mosquito Joe franchise (that’s how much we love MoJo!) and my sister is in the academia world and has dedicated her life to making other people’s lives better. They are the most hilarious, passionate women I know and I’m so thankful they’re not only in my life, but are required to put up with me for all of time!
Thanks Julie! We’re so proud she is helping lead the charge when it comes to marketing efforts for Mosquito Joe. If you’re interested in the Mosquito Joe opportunity and being a neighborhood hero in your community we’d love to hear from you. You could be the next Woman of Mosquito Joe!